SCHOLARSHIP AWARD FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPLORERS
To recognize Law Enforcement Explorers of Hispanic ancestry who have shown potential to become future leaders in the law enforcement and criminal justice profession.
The Hispanic American Police Command Officers Association (HAPCOA), established in 1973, is the oldest and largest association in the U.S. of Hispanic American command officers from law enforcement and criminal justice agencies at the municipal, county, state and federal levels. With members in hundreds of agencies across the United States and Puerto Rico, many of whom are active in local chapters, HAPCOA is a national organization with local presence.
Through HAPCOA, chiefs of police, sheriffs and police superintendents from around the country are committed to meeting the challenges of selection, promotion and retention of Hispanic American men and women in professional law enforcement and the criminal justice system. The courageous men and women of HAPCOA also work diligently to address the concerns of their respective communities and improve community relations through the implementation of innovative, state-of-the art training and educational programs.
As part of its mission statement and goals, HAPCOA seeks to offer training and educational programs designed to increase recruitment and selection of qualified Hispanic Americans into law enforcement and criminal justice careers. It is with this goal in mind that HAPCOA sponsors an annual merit based scholarship award for Law Enforcement Explorers of Hispanic ancestry.
In order to be considered for this award, a Law Enforcement Explorer must meet the following criteria:
- Currently registered as a Law Enforcement Explorer in good standing with the sponsoring law enforcement agency for his/her Post.
- Must be of Hispanic or Latino ancestry. Specifically, an applicant must be able to able to demonstrate that at least one of his/her biological parents can trace their ancestry to Latin America, Spain, Portugal, Brazil, or the Spanish speaking Caribbean or Philippines
- A senior in high school planning to attend college, or currently enrolled in an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of a 3.0 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale, or its equivalent, as verified by an official transcript from the educational institution.
- Provide three letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a teacher or academic counselor.
- Demonstrated leadership and volunteer service experience as evidenced by participation in extracurricular activities at school, in the community, in religious or fraternal organizations, or other service oriented volunteer programs.
- A personal statement, no longer than 750 words, addressing the following topic: “Why I want to pursue a career in the law enforcement or criminal justice profession.”
- Provide official school transcript and signature of LFL advisor.
Every Law Enforcement Explorer that meets the award criteria will be given equal consideration for this award. A committee appointed by the HAPCOA National President will review all applications and supporting documentation and determine the most deserving recipient forward the award based on merit.
February 1, 2018
The HAPCOA Scholarship Award for Law Enforcement Explorers will be presented annually; on even numbered years at the opening ceremony for the National Law Enforcement Exploring Conference, and on odd numbered years at the HAPCOA National Conference or other appropriate venue as approved by the national president. The recipient will receive an engraved award plaque and a monetary honorarium in the amount of $1,000. The honorarium will be sent to the recipient’s college or university to be utilized for his/her tuition, books and related expense.
Signature Page of the Application
Please download the signature page of the application, and send to the address listed. Thank you.